TS250 rubber inlet pipe

Forums Technical Two Stroke: Help needed TS250 rubber inlet pipe

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Garth Howarth
      Participant

Among many changes from 4 speed TS250 to 5 speed TS250/1 was that the rubber inlet pipe section inside the airbox was lengthened by about 50mm (as I recall). If you bought a replacement in the late 1970s it was marked “TS250 hier abtrennen”. The parts list shows the same part 22-33.100 for both, and says “to be shortened for TS250.”
      Does anyone know why it was lengthened?

Keith Angus
      Participant

Among the changes was the design of the combustion chamber (and cylinder head finning) to avoid overheating when thrashing the engine. The tube length would be part of the inlet tuning, and presumably the newer engine was that bit different. I don’t know if there were any equivalent changes to the exhaust.

Garth Howarth
      Participant

Most of the changes between the 4-speed TS250 engine (MM250/3) and the 5-speed TS250/1 engine (MM250/4) were mechanical. Larger main bearings lubricated by petroil not gearbox oil, 5 speed box and revised gearchange mechanism plus new crankcases to hold these bits. The combustion chamber was still the same design in use since the ETS250, but the plug was moved to a central position.
      The exhaust was unchanged, so was the cylinder barrel and therefore the port timing. Carburettor changes were minimal: main jet down from 140 to 135, and no cross-hole in the needle jet.
      The TS250/1 annex to the workshop manual lists the changes, but says nothing about the change to the inlet pipe. It is mentioned in the parts list, but understandably this doesn’t explain why.
      I was hoping that MZ would have said something about it in a press release or dealer bulletin, and that someone would remember seeing it. I guess you win some, you lose some.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.