gears meshing noisily

Forums Technical Two Stroke: Help needed gears meshing noisily

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,on engaging my ts 150 gears up or down the gears make a not engaging cleanly noise but will engage with a bit of force(deafness helps)the clutch seems to be working ie the push rod opens the plates ,the bike was laid up 24 years ago ,maybe because of the gear noises ,any suggestions as to the cause ? and who can strip ,replace bits & rebuild for me as I dont have any extractors or special tools that might be needed .thanks Fletty

Anonymous
      Inactive

fingers crossed it might have been old oil and sticky clutch plates as after an oil change and separation of the plates in situ theres only a slight clunk on the gear changes which might be normal for all I know .

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sounds about right. Give it a good run with plenty of changes and a few bleach burn outs.
      Only joking !

Membership Man

Hi John,

The TS125/150 motors are prone to clutch drag even when otherwise in perfect condition. When cold they will often want to jump back into neutral and try to drive the bike when in gear even with the clutch fully disengaged. Try running with some thinnish oil in the gearbox for a while. There’s nothing special in the box that needs heavy grade gear oil so it won’t do any harm. I run mine with SAE30 mono bought for the motor mower and 20/50 would probably be ok.
      PeterF

Anonymous
      Inactive

TY Peter have put classic sae40 grade oil in it because I couldn’t find a sae 60 & as you say its only an oil bath so will be ok ,and less drag to boot

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.